Biopsy results:
So, it would appear that what I have is not a lymphoma as first thought, but something called a 'seminoma'. It's what the experts call a germ cell cancer, and it's a type of testicular cancer where the disease starts from an infected testicle but manifests itself as a lump on a lymph node (in my case, the one on the right hand side of the pelvis), so it's easy to see why they thought it was a lymphoma.
Typical treatment is an inguinal orchiectomy (sounds posh, but it just means having a bollock removed) followed by either chemo or radiotherapy, and it is a tumour which is still highly sensitive to treatment, with a cure rate of around 90% so all is still nice and positive.
What impresses me is the fact that 2 days after my biopsy, I get the phone call to tell me the results when I was expecting to have to wait at least a week for them. I'm expecting a phone call today or tomorrow from Cheltenham hospital to arrange an appointment with the expert on the subject - a gent by the name of Dr. Owen - so it's highly likely that by early next week I should be undergoing some kind of treatment. It's only a week since the initial diagnosis and already there's significant progress, showing that for all its flaws, the NHS can work brilliantly when it needs to.
So I reckon it's about time for a sing song, all together now,
'Szleppard has only got one ball...........'
So, it would appear that what I have is not a lymphoma as first thought, but something called a 'seminoma'. It's what the experts call a germ cell cancer, and it's a type of testicular cancer where the disease starts from an infected testicle but manifests itself as a lump on a lymph node (in my case, the one on the right hand side of the pelvis), so it's easy to see why they thought it was a lymphoma.
Typical treatment is an inguinal orchiectomy (sounds posh, but it just means having a bollock removed) followed by either chemo or radiotherapy, and it is a tumour which is still highly sensitive to treatment, with a cure rate of around 90% so all is still nice and positive.
What impresses me is the fact that 2 days after my biopsy, I get the phone call to tell me the results when I was expecting to have to wait at least a week for them. I'm expecting a phone call today or tomorrow from Cheltenham hospital to arrange an appointment with the expert on the subject - a gent by the name of Dr. Owen - so it's highly likely that by early next week I should be undergoing some kind of treatment. It's only a week since the initial diagnosis and already there's significant progress, showing that for all its flaws, the NHS can work brilliantly when it needs to.
So I reckon it's about time for a sing song, all together now,
'Szleppard has only got one ball...........'

I've had a very very very bad experience with the NHS so ...... but on other occasions they have been very good. You might not know, infact you probably don't, but until I was about 18 I had an "undescended testie" due to a primary school fight. Rectified now, but it wasn't that bad, you can pop a nutt down one side of your trouser seem and use the extra space to pop the meat down the otherside, giving the impression you have a fanny instead - that bit of course caused problems with interacting with the other sex, but your married so that wont be an issue. Post op was pretty tender so not alot of moving around - oh and dont shave pre-op, they send some young nurse type to come and do it :D Will they be popping a plastic one in after? I know that can be quite common practice.
ReplyDeleteGood luck! And I'm still looking out for a hospital related present ;)
90% is still definitely good. My friend had a very similar situation, and had one removed...he's now gone on to found the facebook group 'I've Felt Phil's False Bollock' (his name is Phil too) so er...yeah!
ReplyDeleteLoves to you all.
Becka and Joe
xxx